Having a good chocolate chip cookie recipe is an essential part of every baker’s repertoire. Being on a gluten-free diet doesn’t mean that you have to miss out. Kids love these chewy cookies – and you won’t find adults complaining either!
I’ve been making these cookies, in one form or another, since I was a child. The original recipe was from a children’s baking book, since lost to obscurity, but forever etched in my memory.
You think I’m being dramatic here, but this recipe was my initiation into solo baking. I remember being about 9 years old, and my mum had gone somewhere for the afternoon. I thought it would be a fantastic idea to experiment – after all, the recipe was meant for children, wasn’t it? So I was damn well going to do it on my own!
I decided that instead of doing 10 cookies I was going to use the recipe and make ONE GIANT COOKIE. I called my mum to ask her a question about how the oven worked and she was understandably concerned about her child operating the oven unsupervised (there must have been someone else home, but I remember being all alone. Isn’t memory funny sometimes?).
I’d love to tell you that when my mum got back the house was covered in batter and on fire, but in reality it took a little bit longer to bake but worked perfectly. Yeah, I was a baking badass, even as a 9 year old. I wish I had a picture of you, giant cookie cake.
When I went gluten-free I was delighted that with a few tweaks here and there, and a tiny bit of experimentation, the recipe still largely worked. If you are new to gluten-free baking, have a look at the video I made below, showing you how it’s done.
So simple, even a child can do it.
Maybe just supervise them until you are absolutely sure they won’t burn the house down.
Ultimate Gluten-free Chocolate Chip Cookies
By October 25, 2013Published:
- Yield: About 10 large cookies
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 10 mins
- Ready In: 25 mins
A classic chewy cookie
- 115g butter at room temperature
- 75g soft brown sugar
- 75g caster sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 140g plain gluten-free flour I use Dove's Farm
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed optional
- 100g dark chocolate check the brand is gluten-free
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or vanilla sugar
- Preheat oven to 190C/375F
- Cream the butter, and both types of sugar together. Add vanilla sugar or extract.
- Add an egg and mix well.
- Sift in the flour, salt and bicarbonate of soda, and mix well.
- Optional: Add the ground flaxseed and mix in.
- Chop the chocolate into small chunks and stir into the mixture.
- Scoop spoonfuls of the mixture out onto a non stick or lined baking tray.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Be careful not to let them get too dark.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and place the tray on a heatproof surface. Leave for a couple of minutes so that the cookies can harden, otherwise they will fall apart when you try to move them.
- When cooled enough to move, transfer the cookies onto a wire rack and leave to cool thoroughly.