Quinoa can be used in the most surprising of recipes. As a coeliac, I can’t tolerate even gluten-free oats (I react to the avenin in them like I do with gluten), so I sometimes substitute quinoa flakes or whole quinoa to make a sort of porridge. Sweetening with banana, agave or honey and a little cocoa powder for flavour makes this dish the perfect comfort food. Also suitable for vegans.
I’ve always had a big problem knowing what to eat for breakfast since even gluten-free cereals seem to upset my stomach and I can’t eat gluten-free oats. Combining my two new obsessions – Pinterest and quinoa – I found this recipe for Chocolate Banana Breakfast Quinoa. (incidentally I’ve started using Pinterest for a few gluten-free finds so follow me on Pinterest if you like!)
My rice cooker has been invaluable to me since I got it (only £15.99 at Argos!) and it’s absolutely perfect for cooking quinoa, but you can use a regular pan (although you may have to stir it occasionally to make sure it doesn’t stick).
Chocolatey Breakfast Quinoa
By May 14, 2013Published:
- Yield: 2 Servings
Quinoa can be used in the most surprising of recipes. As a coeliac, I can't tolerate even gluten-free oats (I react to the avenin in …
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 cup coconut milk or your preferred dairy-free drink
- 1 banana 1/2 mashed, 1/2 sliced
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder check gluten-free, some brands aren't suitable for coeliacs!
- 2 tsp agave nectar or honey, to taste
- Wash the quinoa thoroughly in a sieve. Drain and add to rice cooker/pan. Add coconut milk and turn on rice cooker/stove. I love rice cookers as they come with a little pot so I just measure 1 part quinoa to 2 parts liquid and get perfect results every time!
- If not using a rice cooker you will need to time it yourself, it will generally take about 10-15 minutes for all the liquid to be absorbed.
- When the quinoa is cooked, add the mashed banana, cocoa powder, and agave nectar and stir thoroughly.
- Serve with the banana slices on top.
- Enjoy! You can customise your toppings, make it sweeter, add cinnamon and generally really experiment with this one.